Take your laughter skills and career to the next level!
The Laughter Wellness Level 3 is our most advanced training level. It is intended for people who want to take their laughter skills to the next level and/or learn how to certify others as Laughter Wellness Teachers, Level 1 and 2.
- While this training is life-changing and very rewarding, it’s also a significant time commitment. We guarantee a full return on your investment within 6 to 12 months or less provided you dedicate 3-4 hours per week every week to your studies and practice.
- Completing this training with us is not a guarantee that you will be able to have a full-time job as a laughter professional afterwards. Read this.
- People who have completed the level 2 training program in-person or online can expect to finish their level 3 training within 6 months (We do have a package offer for those just getting started on their laughter journey).
Here is how it works:
|Bring your skills to the highest level based on the current state of the art in Laughter Wellness practices. You will work closely with Sebastien Gendry to ensure efficient and accurate transfer of knowledge.
You will get to apply your practical and theoretical knowledge in teaching others about Laughter Wellness through a series of practical role plays with your fellow students and real-life exercises in your community.
|Many of our students add thousands of $ to their annual income with this training, having fun making a difference.|
Frequently Asked Questions
No, we don’t.
Your expertise is a plus and you will learn more and faster than people who are just getting started, but what you will learn with us is still another viewpoint on laughter.
Do you understand this: 1+1=2 ?
Most likely the answer is a clear yes.
Does this mean however that you understand mathematics?
Our point is that what we think there is to learn is not necessarily what there indeed is to learn.
There is always more.
What you pay for is instant access to a knowledge that people like ourselves who have spent years of their lives refining their craft can give you in a very short period of time.
We do offer discounts to our alumni who wish to come back for a refresher.
For everybody else know that we already offer a lot of free and inexpensive education through the Laughter Online University. If your budget is limited we recommend you start there, or you can talk to us about our payment plans.
Our recommendation: Play your role, do your part. “At the moment of commitment the entire universe conspires to assist you.” Start your training now! Learn to ask. Consider creating a page with www.gofundme.com. Explain who you are, what your story is, why you need money (how much?), what will you do with what you learn, What does this trip mean to you? etc. Learn to self-disclose. Help people to relate.
Here is the fact: Many people who train as a Laughter Professional with a reputable organization add several $1,000s to their annual income. Many of our own students do so, helping their own clients of all ages to laugh to “live fully until they die” in a variety of social, professional and corporate settings.
Here is the catch: For them laughter is an extra revenue stream. It’s not their sole source of income.
The unpleasant truth is that very few people in the world manage to have a full time career as a laughter professional “that pays the bills and hopefully more.” Many have tried and keep trying, but you cannot stay at survival level forever when you have a family.
Being self-employed is not easy in any field of activity. According to Bloomberg, 8 out of 10 entrepreneurs who start businesses fail within the first 18 months. Relying on yourself for your income is a very different ballgame from receiving a monthly check, rain or shine. Nobody will come come running after you just because you have learned something that’s truly amazing. Are you ready for the challenge?
There is lots of value in having an experienced business coach, but select yours carefully before you commit money to the relationship. You will duplicate the experience of whoever is coaching/mentoring you, so (1) make sure that it’s something worth duplicating and that they have a proven track record, and (2) get a clear picture from them on what you will need to do to succeed commercially following their expert advice. You might not be willing/ready to invest the necessary dedication/time to this project.
Ask how many paying presentations / trainings / clients they themselves have had or have helped their students to have in the pasts 12 months (“many” and “lots” are not a number, and what they did years ago is now outdated). Also ask what gross and net income this actually generated (“5 digits income” is too vague. $10k is not the same thing as $90k). In short: Your proposed business coach does not need to be a good salesperson or a great public speaker themselves, but if they are not then they do need to have a proven track record helping others be that.
Here is our default advice: don’t plan on quitting your full time job just yet. Start somewhere and build from there.
Gain some expertise both facilitating laughter interventions AND as public speaker. There are many groups in every community that are constantly looking for free speakers (I firmly believe that you will only be able to start calling yourself a Laughter Professional after a minimum of 50 hours of hands-on practice).
Get comfortable selling. One way to learn that skill for free is to volunteer doing fundraising a few hours per week for a local widow’s and children’s fund until you are not afraid of knocking on doors and be rejected anymore.
Educate yourself on how to best market and sell a service. Lots of good books have been written on that topic. (See a suggested link below.)
Remember that there are no mistakes, only learning curves.
In short: go out and do something now. Learn to plan, implement and review, then do it again.
Here are resources you should study:
We have answered this question at http://www.laughteronlineuniversity.com/laughter-contra-indications.
You don’t. It depends on what you want to achieve. Let’s review two important concepts:
Spontaneous laughter (which you are talking about) is unrelated to one’s free will, and is triggered by different (external) stimuli and positive emotions. Humor belongs to this group, amongst several other techniques. It has been around since time immemorial, with mixed results. Although often associated, it is important to note that laughter and humor are distinct events. Whereas humor is a stimulus that can occur without laughter, laughter is both an emotion and a response and can occur without humor.
Intentional (voluntary) laughter (which we teach) is a safe, reliable and sustainable way to tap into your own inner cellular pharmacy and use laughter to promote health, wellness and well being. It offers important benefits that the occasional spontaneous laughter of daily life does not:
- It’s a valid alternative. Imagine cutting a lemon in half, and squeezing it in your mouth. How do you feel? The more vividly you imagine this experience is, the stronger your body will react. Your mind knows there is no lemon, but your body doesn’t. It’s the same phenomenon when you intentionally choose to laugh. Your mind will always know the difference between simulated and genuine laughter, but your body won’t because it can’t think. The body can only feel.
- It lasts longer and offer more benefits. Just like with any form of exercise, 20-60 minutes of continuous practice will give you much more benefits than just a few seconds at a time. The spontaneous laughter that naturally occurs in daily life, in comparison, only comes for a few seconds here and there and does not produce the same level of benefits.
- It’s an easy way to reliably access your own inner cellular pharmacy. Laughter acts as a pump and stimulates the cleansing of the lymph system by creating a vacuum effect that pulls the lymph through the bloodstream. This increases the rate of toxic elimination by as much as 15 times the normal rate. In daily life, deep belly laughter is rare and generally short-lived when it does occur.
- It’s a safe way to release tension. Choosing to laugh allows people to vocalize rather than verbalize tension and safely diffuse it. Humans are feelings machines, and the flux of emotions is not always easy to control. In daily life, people resist the urge to laugh, cry, scream, or otherwise be emotional, but emotions are illogical, irrational, and unreasonable. When you have too much of them, they just come out. Imagine a pressure cooker. It’s the same phenomenon. At some point, no matter how strong it is, it will explode if the pressure inside keeps building. Learning to release inner tensions without narrative solely through the expression of sound helps people see reality more clearly, without personal distortions.
- It is sustainable. Intentional laughter is always new, fresh and different. It’s the purest form of laughter there is because there is no reason for it. It is free of conditions, beyond culture and time, and requires no particular setup or equipment.
- It is reliable. The Laughter Wellness method is a fully codified and substantiated approach to Laughter Therapy. There is nothing to stop you from laughing when you want to. From a therapeutic perspective, the spontaneous laughter of daily life is not reliable because it is dependent on too many factors outside of your control.
- It’s a tool for personal development. Choosing to laugh forces a shift in attitude from “I can’t” into “I can.” In time the belief that laughter is “nowhere” evolves into the realization that laughter is “now here”. This promotes a positive mindset and everything that comes with it. Would you still be able to laugh if everything that makes you happy and feel good disappeared overnight? The answer is most probably no, and this is why our approach to laughter can be of great benefit to you, even if you already laugh a lot. It will help put the reasons why you laugh inside of you, not outside, and teach you equanimity. Only one who knows how to create a balance between favorable and unfavorable situations can maintain balance of mind and his composure.
The Laughter Wellness method may be a powerful, documented and inexpensive form of complementary medicine, yet it is not and cannot be a substitute for medical treatment. We do not recommend nor suggest in any way shape or form that you discontinue your current treatment plan if you have one. Please share what you are doing with your primary health physician and follow his/her advice.
Ignore everything the fear-mongers have to say: In the end it’s only up to you.
If you resonate with the idea and it makes you feel more comfortable, then the answer is absolutely yes (You can download a template disclaimer form here (In microsoft .doc format: http://lou.pm/ddoc). This form is offered as a service only and has not been reviewed by a lawyer. I do not guarantee its legal validity.) They have value as a form of prevention, in that they reinforce the message that people are responsible for their own health. From a legal viewpoint, however, they offer no real protection. In the USA a non-disclaimer form must be read out loud and signed in front of a witness to be valid in Court, and even that is not a guarantee you will win a lawsuit.
Just for the record, several laughter practitioners and Community Laughter Clubs have been taken to court over the years in various countries around the world, but none for health reasons so far. The consistent complaint is noise disturbance, and the request of the attacking party is to “stop the cacophony.” Read a typical example here.
There are numerous, all very good, Laughter Therapy programs in existence today that will each teach you something valuable. The question is not really about which one is best but rather which one will serve you best based on your own personality, learning style, and what you want to achieve. Find out who the founder of your method of choice is and learn more about that person. Search youtube.com to see videos of him or her in action. Some methods are strongly influenced by the world of humor and heavily rely on jokes, props, funny hats, clown noses, tutus, clown wigs, etc. Others are experienced in improv’ theater, art, music or dance therapy, meditation, tai-chi, hypnosis, 1-1 coaching…and have combined their skills with laughter. Find out if it’s a solo or 1-1 practice, or if they teach group dynamics.
The Laughter Wellness method is a solid synthesis of the best techniques and exercises available today in the world of Laughter Therapy at large. We believe in playfulness that leads to personal growth, joy-filled techniques and exercises that promote a deeper level of awareness, and positive and empowering human connections that foster social harmony. The strategies we have developed engender confidence and the scope of our teaching material offer facilitators endless variations when they add their own creativity. You can learn with us in person or online, at the beginning of your journey or after years of practice as a laughter professional. Either way we guarantee you will learn a lot, and offer a full money-back guarantee if you are not 100% satisfied with our program.
We are currently working on creating a directory of Laughter Wellness teachers around the world. There is a listing of community Laughter Clubs here. Below is a one hour Laughter Wellness session with its founder, Sebastien Gendry:
True. We live in a world where very few things can make people laugh, while hundreds can make them frown, howl and cry. Many people lose track of the therapeutic values of laughter when stress and adversity knock at their door.
“Why should we laugh?” they say. “It doesn’t pay the bills.”
Society teaches that problems are serious and need to be addressed seriously. Laughter, on the other hand, is often perceived as frivolous and only relevant in its proper time and place.
There is a different way to look at this.
Laughing in the face of adversity won’t pay your bills, but it will teach you equanimity. It is not about strength, but courage, because it’s about letting go. Only one who knows how to create a balance between the favorable and unfavorable situations can maintain mental balance and composure. Life is not always fun, but it certainly is much more fun with laughter than without.
Practices such as Laughter Wellness help you feel at peace and good about yourself in the present moment, for no particular reason. They give you the ability to laugh at things that previously would have caused stress or anger, along with the ability to experience a new sense of forgiveness.
When you change, the world around you changes. When you feel good, you are more likely to address the challenges you have to face constructively and with a positive attitude.
You can laugh when you want to, because you want to, if you want to. You can train yourself to react positively in the face of adversity. Whatever happens to you, whether pleasant or unpleasant, doesn’t matter at all. Nerve impulses are just that ─ nerve impulses. They mean nothing.
Choosing to remain positive and be comfortable with your imperfections and the challenges in your life does not mean you have to be complacent about them. You should not. Laughing about them is a sign of maturity. It’s a political act, a declaration of freedom, a demonstration that we are not afraid, that we refuse to let fear, anger, guilt or resentment win and rule our lives.
Please contact your chosen Laughter Wellness teacher directly for more information on this matter.
We do not offer continuing education credits at this point in time but this is something we are working on so stay tuned. In the meantime we are happy to provide all the needed documentation for you to apply yourself with your state professional board.
We are enforcing the following waiver because of our sincere concern for your best health and safety. It is our hope that it will help you make an informed decision as to if and how you should proceed with the exercises presented to you in our products, trainings and services.
Although simulated laughter exercises have proven itself to be safe in most instances, individuals with physical or psychological medical histories should definitely consult the appropriate medical health professional for specific guidance prior to using these or any exercise routine.
- I understand that I am learning only techniques to help improve health and personal wellbeing from my Laughter Wellness facilitators, teachers, instructors and providers (herein referred to as Facilitators)
- I understand that the facilitators are not medical health providers and the individual instruction they are offering is not to obtain information about my personal physical or emotional health.
- This individual instruction is to obtain educational information on skills to implement simulated laughter exercises and not for providing personal health advice.
- I understand that the facilitators are not treating any physical or emotional condition that I may have.
- I am totally responsible if I choose to implement any techniques that I learn from the facilitators and realize I need not accept any educational information that the facilitators present in this laughter session planner.
- I recognize that it is my personal responsibility to consult my physician before implementing any techniques that the facilitators discuss in their individual instruction.
If the information presented in any of the courses offered by facilitators is used without consultation and approval of a physician, the individual will be diagnosing for him or herself. No responsibility is assumed therefore by the facilitators for the use of the information contained in these courses in lieu of a doctor’s services. Some of the techniques discussed in the instruction may be dangerous when improperly used. I accept that it is my full responsibility if I attempt to self-treat based on information in these instructions. The information presented in all the courses offered through the facilitators are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
Each Individual participating in any of our in-person program is responsible for his or her own insurance needs (be it accidental and or medical). By signing up to any of our workshops, trainings or events you implicitly agree that you have read, agree without reserve and comply with all of the following:
- You have read and fully understand that Laughter Wellness exercises are equivalent to any other aerobic exercise and therefore accept full responsibility for your physical fitness and declare that you are able to participate in this event.
- You release the facilitators/teachers/instructors from any liability, should there be any accidental injuries that may occur during the laughter yoga exercises.
- You have consulted your physician and are able to participate in your chosen event. You further declare that you are not suffering from any of the following conditions: uncontrolled high blood pressure, heart disease, epilepsy, any kind of hernia, severe backache or major psychiatric disorder.
We offer lifetime certifications, but only endorse and support Laughter Wellness Teachers who are committed to their professional growth and keep their knowledge up-to-date. This can be done by attending an annual laughter conference (e.g. the All America Laughter Conference) or maintaining an active membership with the Laughter Online University ($99/year).
Money spent on continuing education, when taken to maintain and improve professional skills, is tax deductible. There are also other business circumstances that may make such expenses tax deductible. Please contact your accountant for details.
We allow informal and low-tech videotaping or sound recording of the workshop provided (1) it is for personal use only and (2) it does not interfere with the class.
You will receive a summary email about the exact location of your chosen training and nearby sleeping options as soon as you sign up. If your chosen training is in the USA here is a list of free resources you may find useful in planning your trip:
- Check airlines fares through https://www.kayak.com/flights.
- Get from the airport to your destination using Supershuttle shared taxis, Uber or Lyft.
- Find nearby hotels using the training address with Orbitz.com. Consider the airbnb.com alternative, or even couchsurfing.com if you are on a budget.
- Contact your teacher directly and tell them what your needs are! S/he may be able to help you connect with another participant driving from your area, or looking to share a hotel room.
- Illegal / hallucinatory drugs of any kind, alcoholic anything and pets are not allowed in any of our trainings (unless service animals).
- Incense, Candles.
- In consideration of those with chemical sensitivities, kindly refrain from wearing anything that has a scent or fragrance.
- Please keep your cell phone switched off or on vibrate mode during all training sessions.
- A big smile.
- A bottle of water.
- A mat or cushion to lay on (All floor exercises are optional.)
- Pen & paper for taking notes.
- Lunch is not provided, so we invite you to bring food to share for a communal experience. Alternatively, know that our trainings are always in the vicinity of restaurants.
- Optional: Flyers, business cards, any marketing literature you would like to showcase and/or share.
- Optional: A portable storage device (e.g., a USB key.) We always have electronic resources that we are willing to share.
Unless otherwise specified there is no dress code for our trainings and workshops. Bring any clothes that make you feel good.
If you have checked and you are not covered by anybody else’s general liability policy, then it is a good idea to get your own for peace of mind.
Always give ample of consideration to safe practice if you choose to go without! You may also want to review your existing insurance policies and/or ask your insurance broker for advice. You may not need a new plan.
For insurance purposes Laughter Wellness Teachers are akin to fitness or yoga professionals.
Who qualifies for insurance?
Here what our own insurance www.sportsfitness.com says about this:
“We offer a general liability policy that includes coverage for Professional Liability and Sexual Abuse and Molestation, so the coverage is much broader than a simple general liability policy. This is a specialized policy developed for yoga and fitness professionals.
Our insurance program is not for specific yoga certifications, but for yoga teachers in general. We may ask for certifications on our applications, but that is simply a tool for us to track where the business is coming from. In the event of a claim, I cannot envision a scenario where we would deny a claim based on certification, or lack thereof. Our policy has NO exclusionary language related to certifications.”
You may want to check the exact requirements of your chosen insurance. Call them. In case there is ever a claim the last thing you want is to find out that your insurance is invalid.
Where can you get insured?
The cost of public liability insurance in the USA varies between $125 and $300 per year.
Here are options you may want to investigate that we know of, from cheaper to more expensive (the more you pay, the more you get).
- Being a member of CanFitPro (a fitness organization) makes you eligible for liability insurance (very affordable), which you can then get through www.sthunt.com
- http://www.rowlandhouse.com ($183 insured with CGU)
- http://www.oamps.com.au/ ($89 + having to be a member of http://www.ahhca.org/ for $140 = $230)
- http://www.icfrith.com.au/ ($195)
- It is worth asking your local neighborhood centers if you can be covered under their insurance. They may or may not decide to charge you.
let us know if you know more providers, in these or other countries!
There are absolutely no regulation on Laughter Wellness teachers, or any other types of Laughter Professionals for that matter. You do not need to be certified, registered, or licensed in order to offer laughter programs. This means that unless required by an establishment (e.g., gym or health club) instructors are not required to hold any certification in order to work as an instructor. In fact, some of the most experienced and well-known teachers in the world have never been certified, registered, or licensed. That is because “Laughter Therapy” is a relatively recent concept, especially in regards to teaching it.